Shelfari Shelf

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sons of Guilliman Rhino




Part of my 1000 point Sons of Guilliman has two rhinos in it. Here is the first of the two rhinos. I was a bit daunted by this project, as the quartered scheme of the Sons of Guilliman is easy on a marine, the natural delineations of the armor providing stopping points for the quartered colors. On a rhino chassis, there is no such thing.



At first, I tried a freehand attempt at quartering. This left me with slanted and uneven lines. Somewhat reluctantly, I turned to some painters tape to provide the crisp even edges I was able to obtain on the finished model. I did this by taping off one white quarter at a time.



To paint the white, I used a layer of P3 Frostbite, then a 60:40 Frostbite GW Skull White. Next I painted a coat of 40:60 Frostbite Skull White. Finally, I painted three coats of Skull White.



The blue is painted with a coat of Regal Blue, then Enchanted Blue and finally an extreme highlight of Ice Blue. The model was primed white originally, using Dupli-Color white.



Finally, I used a Micron Pen to draw the chapter insignia on the front of the rhino. I then painted the white using the same coats as with the other white. The blue is just Ultramarine Blue.



The one thing I would definitely like to improve on the next rhino, is a more even quartering across the whole model. Probably measuring and marking the mid points will best achieve this. Also, some more detailing would be nice as well, seeing as I only added a brass etched number piece to signify the number of the rhino.

No comments:

Post a Comment