Shelfari Shelf

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition

Like many Warhammer 40,000 fans, this past weekend I got to explore the new edition of the game.  Seeing as I only played about five games of 6th edition, I don't really feel qualified to evaluate the new rules set.  Nevertheless, I will reflect on some changes I like.  First off, I will say that I like the slimmer rule book, the fact that everything is compact in one spot, and the reduced pressure on my back when I have to hump it around.  The other two books I flipped through briefly and probably will never look at again.  Don't get me wrong, they have nice pictures, and the fluff is interesting, but when you have been at it for so long, the basic info doesn't really change much from edition to edition.

While many in the tournament scene are lamenting and possibly crowing over the new army formation options, I do like the intent.  The ability to create themed armies that do not require a special codex or special characters is pretty cool.  People need to remember that this game, like any other is a social contract.  We agree to abide by the rules in the rule books, but we also agree to abide by event organizer's rules or even the between friends.  That caveat aside, 40k is now apocalypse without the stratagems and formations.  We can take anything, though there are limitations put on it.  I look forward to trying out a full Scout company or a full terminator company.  Heck, even one of the Tactical companies would be interesting to field on their own.

The alteration to the allies matrix is also interesting, the drive to encourage people to field anything they want is inherent in it, as now even Tyranids can ally with the "Come the Apocalypse" element having rules too.  So while your Hive Tyrant can be on the same table as your Guardsmen, they still have to keep their distance to be usable, but Genestealer cults and traitor guard are now completely possible.  This weekend I should have a chance to try out a game finally, if it happens, that will be my next report.


No comments:

Post a Comment