Shelfari Shelf

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dan Abnett's Prospero Burns



I know I said I wouldn't post again until after the New year, however I just finished reading Dan Abnett's Prospero Burns. In the beginning, I really felt this book had been over hyped. Everyone was gushing about how it would blow A Thousand Sons out of the water. I was prepared to believe this, after all, it was Dan Abnett writing it. This is the story of the destruction of Prospero through Kasper Hawser's eyes. He is kind of like a remembrancer, but more interested in preserving all knowledge than recording the great crusade. The story is twined with his memories and his experiences with the Space Wolves. One thing Abnett does, is add more Norse flavor to the Space Wolves. Nordic terminology is used, or adapted to make Fenrisian culture more present in the story. So I started out expecting this to be a great novel. About halfway through, I felt like it was falling flat in the way that Hunt for Voldorious did. By the last quarter of the book, it was back on track and really clicked for me. I think everyone will enjoy this novel, especially fans of A Thousand Sons and Abnett in general. A good read, with great insight into the Space Wolves and a very interesting plot twist at the end.

2 comments:

  1. I agree mate. I think it was a tad over hyped for the end product, although it is still a good book in its own right, I think a Thousand Sons trumps it.

    In particular, I agree that the third quarter (particularly with Russ and the Council on Nikea scenes) was the let down point. They didn't seem to add to the overall story, and seemed to drag down the other portions.

    I mentioned to a friend how it almost seemed as if that part of the book had been written by a completely different author for a completely different book.

    Otherwise, a good read and adds plenty to the SW fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about that last third, I have to wonder how much Abnett's epilepsy played into it and the fact that before it was even announced they were over hyping that book as much as possible.
    I think the third person, outsider looking in view is a unique way to look at the wolves, but for an HH book, I wanted the immediacy of knowing the wolves the way we got to see the 1k Sons from Ahriman's viewpoint. Hawser's viewpoint still could of been there, but it would have felt more complete if we got to see through Othere Wydmake's eyes or someone like him.

    ReplyDelete