Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Forge World Warhound
I pulled out my warhound to play a game of apocalypse the other day and it reminded me that i hadn't photographed it yet. I built this warhound years ago, and learned a lot about the weakness of super glue doing so.
The first game I played with this titan, the chassis split in half while I was getting ready to place it. Having a poor transport option didn't help either. Luckily I was able to reglue it, and it has stayed fairly together since then (with the exception of a toe which was repaired pretty easily). The gluing did cause fogging, and I had to touch that up as well.
The most difficult part of this model are the hosing for the plasma blast guns. Their are rubber, and need to be heated in order to bend them into the right shape so that they will hold and be glue able.
The pistons are kind of a pain as well, as they need to be trimmed once the legs are posed.
The white is just multiple coats over white primer, and the rest of the model is painted the same way I did the Reaver. I like to think the Reaver was an improvement on the technique using an airbrush to create a smoother white.
The interior brown is Kommando Khaki over black primer.
Anyone who is thinking of building a big model and doesn't know about two part epoxy should investigate it. While it has a longer cure time than super glue, that also gives the model increased bond strength.
My final thoughts on the Warhound revolve around weapon choices. I bought the Mars Pattern Warhound back when Forge World didn't sell the gun arms separately. So it has the Plasma Blastgun and Vulcan Megabolter. Both are great weapons, though their role is a bit different. The Blastgun is very flexible, while the megabolter is more anti-infantry oriented. Eventually I would like to get a super heavy hunter with two turbolascannons.