Shelfari Shelf

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Completed Razorwing



Every now and then, you come across a model that looks so simple on the surface but ends up being a huge pain in the neck. This is how I feel about the Razorwing. To start off, I assembled the model in seven different pieces. This may sound like a lot, but it really isn't. Essentially, there are four missiles, the tail fin (which is already one piece), the bottom fuselage and the top fuselage. This was done so that i could glue on the canopy with canopy glue and not have to worry about fogging from the sealant or super glue.



Next, I primed everything black. The parts that are silver were painted Boltgun, given a wash of Leviathan Purple, and then given a coat of Chainmail. The rest of the model was painted with a coat of P3 Beaten Purple, a 70:30 mix of Beaten purple and P3 Murderous Magenta, and then an extreme highlight of Murderous Magenta. For the cockpit interior, I did a coat of Chaos Black on the monitors, and then used some Scorpion Green for faux writing. The base was painted with P3 Rucksack Tan, Sulfuric Yellow, and Moldy Ochre. Then I sealed everything.



Now comes the part that took the fun out of this model, assembly. First, using canopy glue, I glued on the flying stand to the base and the canopy to the upper fuselage. After they were dry (it's best to wait 24 hours) I then attempted to glue together the top and bottom fuselage, using the tail section to put them in place properly. Here is where things turned nasty. For one, the layers of paint created such a tight fit I had to try to shave away the primer from the track on the top of the model, and then shave away the paint on the tongues as well. In the process of this, I stabbed myself with an Xacto knife. In the end, I was able to fit it on (took about twenty minutes) and then use clamps to glue the front down.



Unfortunately, the manhandling required me to go back and retouch the model with Beaten Purple. In retrospect, i suppose it would have saved me a lot of grief if I just skipped the canopy, but the final effect is worth it. However, I do not believe I will ever build one of these models again, as I was contemplating an air heavy Dark Eldar army. I think it is now safely off the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment