Shelfari Shelf

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mantis Warriors Command Squad



This command squad is really my first foray into the Mantis Warriors. I modeled four of the members of the squad using the Command Squad boxed set. The sergeant is kneeling, and has an old plastic power axe on his back. I used a blood angels power weapon, and the command squad power weapon for two of the veterans. The apothecary is metal with a plastic backpack and power weapon arm. The company champion is pretty much the stock build.



The yellow was painted with layers of P3 Rucksack Tan, GW Devlan Mud, Moldy Ochre and Sulfuric Yellow. The Bone is P3 Hammerfel Khaki GW Devlan Mud and P3 Menoth White Base. The red is P3 Sanguine Base, Sanguine Highlight, Khador Base and a dot of Khador Highlight. The silver is GW Boltgun, Devlan Mud then Chainmail. I wanted to keep the gold darker, so it is only layers of GW Dwarf Bronze, Devlan Mud, Dwarf Bronze and a highlight of Shining Gold.



The main color, green is the one I am most on the fence about. The IA shows the green lighter than the Salamanders, so I wanted to g lighter than Iosan Green. However, i don;t know if the green I went to is too light, or I should add an ink to darken it. Part of me likes it, because it is similar to a real Praying Mantis. Without further preamble, I painted layers of P3 Gnarls Green, Iosan Green, Wurm Green and then a highlight of Necrotite Green.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good so far, you might want to wash the green part of the armor with a dark green wash, it will tone down the color and bring out the detailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try that, though I must admit that green has grown on me.

      Delete