Shelfari Shelf

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Updated 2nd Company

One of the goals I have for showing off my Ultramarines a company at a time is to also update the older models in the collection and possibly replace models that are dated or don't fit with my current conception of the army. To that end, I've gone and updated the 2nd Company landspeeders and dreadnoughts this month.

I started out by giving all of the skin tones on the pilots and crew of the landspeeders a wash of Ogryn Flesh. Then all of the yellows got a new base coat of P3 Sulfuric Yellow. This was followed up with a coat of Golden Yellow, a wash of Gryphonne Sepia, another coat of Golden Yellow and a highlight of P3 Cygnnus Yellow (though Sunburst Yellow would achieve the same effect.

Next I applied a wash of Devlan Mud to all of the reds and all of the metallics. In some cases this also meant adding metallics to some of the models to create a more uniform look to them - for instance all of the landspeeders now have metallic thrusters, instead of some metallic, and some black and metallic. A coat of Chainmail was then dry brushed over top of the metallic. A coat of Blood Red, followed by a highlight of Fiery Orange was then applied to the reds.

Finally, I applied a wash of Asurmen Blue to all of the Ultramarine Blue. In many cases, these landspeeders were from my earliest attempts at painting and lacked depth (shading and highlighting) whatsoever. After the wash, they got a coat of Ultramarines Blue, then a 50:50 mix of Ultramarines Blue and Ice Blue (I keep a paint pot of this pre-mixed, it helps when you know you will use it in more quantity than a one off mix would). Finally, a highlight of Ice Blue is applied to the model.

I also cleaned up the transfers that were starting to flake and painted over the carrier film that was showing on the model. Now a days, i don't really use transfers, so it's not something I worry about much, but they are great for a beginner. That's about it for this group. Next up will probably be something everyone is going to be blogging about - the new plastic Venerable Dreadnought. Mines being primed, so hopefully by the end of the week I'll be able to show it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment