Shelfari Shelf

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Finescale Begins!



Astorath the Grim is my first foray into the world of Citadel Finescale. I picked the model up this past saturday in the interest of seeing the quality of the new plastic resin GW is putting forth as well as finally treating myself to a model I've wanted for w while. I've worked with resin models before, as anyone who has read this blog knows, so I definitely didn't feel like a newb in that respect. However, I was under the impression that Finescale used different resin than Forgeworld, so I was definitely interested to see. Truth be told, Forgeworld uses different resins to cast different things, and the Finescale resin is one such type.



Like other resin models, I made sure to wash it in warm, soapy water to make sure the release is all off. nothing stinks more than having paint pool away from the surface because the release won't let the paint adhere. Astorath had a decent amount of flash on it, theough probably about the same amount of flash as a pewter model would have, just not a lot of pointy doodads sticking out from it. Instead, you have to inspect all of the mold lines, as weel as look for bubble and places where the flash has caused irregularities in the model. make sure you dry fit the slots into the bases before glueing, I made that mistake and ended up chopping the tab off. Of course, with the lighter resin, you don't really need the tab to keep it on the base.



Assembly of the model went quick, which is a huge advantage over pewter, as I had started using accelerant most of the time, and that usually creates a weaker bond. Still, one needs to make sure they dry fit all of the parts still, as the wings needed some extra sanding and finessing to fit onto the jump pack. This will also help make sure you aren't glueing out of order, as I originally had intended to glue Astorath to his jump pack first, and that would have made putting the wings on much more awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment